Today is eight fears.
Fear I think is something much more personal to share than things you love. You can have irrational fear, illogical fear, unfounded fear and secret fear, all as real as one another but we share them with others than the things we love.
- Spiders. Probably something on a lot of people’s lists. But seriously, NOTHING needs that many legs. The spiders that turn up in my house I swear have been down to the gym first. They are always huge and can run like a mothertrucker.
- Open stairs. As I mentioned on day one, I have a problem with stairs, but when faced with a set of open stairs, I break out into a sweat and start to panic. I would rather face a charging Rhino than open stairs.
- The thought that I might never meet someone who gets my brand of crazy, and loves me still, scares the hell out of me. I don’t want to walk through this life to the end on my own.
- A secret fear, that no one knows about, is that for some reason I am getting increased scared to be a passenger in a car. I gave my car up about 5 years ago (not for this reason) but always loved driving and being in a car, preferably fast down a motorway. Now I am increasingly getting scared. I will beat this fear.
- The dentist. I’ve never had or needed more than a scrape and polish all my life until last year when I knocked a tooth loose and needed an extraction. Combining 1 emergency dentist, 1 tooth out and anaesthetic which I’ve never had before numbing my entire throat equalled a panic attack outside of the dentist, unable to breath. Since then I am a quivering wreck in the waiting room and in the chair. Note to self, take someone with you.
- Snow and ice. I am terrified of falling over and slipping in snow and ice. This just seems to get worse with age. This winter though I invested in some ice cleats, finally, which helped enormously. I could actually walk around with looking like a complete idiot.
- Letting down the people I care about. Self explanatory really!
- Fear itself. I don’t want to be afraid of anything.